Wednesday, September 12, 2007

OMG! Is Britney too flabby?

I was surfing through the Boston Herald's Inside Track, scanning an article titled "Is it fair to savage Britney's figure?" It seems folks are dissing Britney's outfit (or more accurately Britney's body in her outfit) in the recent Video Music Awards. I guess it was her big comeback (I didn't know she went away) after having a couple of kids or so. After her Sunday night performance, the Monday headline in the New York Post: "Lard and Clear." And E! Online commented, "The bulging belly she was flaunting was SO not hot."

Sigh.

In the spirit of sisterhood I really WANT to come to her defense, listing the myriad salient points to be made about women and body image, the brain as a sex organ, and how counter-productive it is --if you're trying to entice a female into removing her attire-- to scrutinize the body parts of others. Maybe some more points about Hollywood's Golden Age and the History of Sexy. Then I'd follow that by pointing out several enormously popular actresses who currently appear to have Avian Bone Syndrome, finally wrapping up with the fundamentally screwed-up, mixed messages sent by society at large.

But I find I just. Don't. Care.

1 comment:

Charles Laquidara said...

You know what? I totally agree with your commentary regarding women (and men) and their bodies, etc. BUT-
I don't think I would be wearing a thong bathing suit to the pool if I were 250 lbs and 5'6" tall. You just don't do that. You have to be sensitive to current sensibilities, and know that you will get crap for doing this.The only way (I feel) that you can get away with it is if you want to make a statement; the statement being, "I don't give two shits what you all think of me, or whether you are offended by my thong or not- I wear it because I feel like wearing it, and screw you!" Now that I can understand and respect.

I am not sure this is what Britney was saying here.