Monday, May 26, 2008

Your Assignment

Give me five sentences about something that happened to you in the past two weeks, each sentence containing at least two adjectives and one adverb. Extra points if your story has a moral or ends with a pithy maxim.

Note: With the exception of the pithy maxim part (which I added solely because I like the phrase "pithy maxim,") this assignment is stolen from my daughter's second grade homework. I'll go first:

The deli boy quickly convinced me to buy the delicious Welsh cheddar. Although I had never tried it before, his ardent enthusiasm and boyish charm overwhelmed my skepticism. After all, who would expect a wide-eyed, gangly, eighteen-year-old grocery clerk to have a strong opinion of imported dairy products? Not I; I prejudiciously presumed that his youthful expertise would pertain only to fast food burgers and sugary colas. It just goes to show: you should never judge a grocery clerk by his cover and why buy the mystery cheese when you get the advice for free?

3 comments:

JBrummer said...

I whimsically (adverb) gave my totally (adv.) awesome (adj.) blog (adj.) readers a second-grade (adj.) assignment. Shortly thereafter (adv.), one could not escape the thundering (adj.) sound of virtual (adj.) crickets. How silly (adj.) Choolie is to give a boring, (adj.) old (adj.) writing (adj.) assignment when clearly (adv.) Spring Fever has taken hold! Oh, how we chuckled mirthfully (adv.) at her seriously (adv.) stupid (adj.) online (adj.) gaffe! It just goes to show: you can't make very (adv.) very (adv.) totally (adv.) old (adj.) dogs do old (adj.) tricks, at least not during the baseball (adj.) season (averbial phrase/pithy maxim).

Danny said...

So you are a tragically aging English Teacher like Charles?

JBrummer said...

Danny: Nah, I'm just a nerd. I thought it'd be a "hoot" to give my daughter's assignment to my pals, and sit back and let the hilarity ensue, seeing what sort of stories I got. Instead, I got several emails asking, "What's the difference between an adjective and an adverb again?"

I do remember the difference between those, but don't ask me state capitals, or history, or geography or science, or really anything that isn't language arts related. :)