Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Theatre Majors!

In the course of my surfing yesterday, I ran across a semi-bizarre Tom Cruise video. He's in the news right now, because of the release of a new unauthorized biography by Andrew Morton (the Princess Di biographer.) So this Scientology video surfaced, and was taken off YouTube and resurfaced elsewhere and finally here it is at Gawker, click here.

So I watched that video, and wondered about Tom. He seems really into it. There are claims that he's #2 guy in Scientology right now. That made me wonder about John Travolta. He's older, and he's a Scientologist, and to my mind, he's cuter, more charismatic, and a better actor. Why isn't he #2 guy in Scientology? So I tried to track this down, and that's when I fell down the rabbit hole. From a 1991 Time magazine article entitled, "The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power."

Sometimes even the church's biggest zealots can use a little protection. Screen star Travolta, 37, has long served as an unofficial Scientology spokesman, even though he told a magazine in 1983 that he was opposed to the church's management. High-level defectors claim that Travolta has long feared that if he defected, details of his sexual life would be made public. "He felt pretty intimidated about this getting out and told me so," recalls William Franks, the church's former chairman of the board. "There were no outright threats made, but it was implicit. If you leave, they immediately start digging up everything." Franks was driven out in 1981 after attempting to reform the church.


Huh? "Details of his sexual life?" What does that mean? So I surfed a little more, and... wait for it...



Dah!

There are many on the net who claim that John is gay, that his marriage is a beard, and that Scientology is using the situation to keep him in line. Here's how the Canadians cover it, click here.

I couldn't decide whether or not to blog about this. I decided to go for it, because it's all out there already and I think it's interesting-- the whole Scientology slash secret-life-except-for-those-millions-of-people-who-google-me thing. Besides, I probably would've told the four or five of you who are reading this, anyway. But if any of this is true, I really feel bad for the guy. So for the record, John is terrific and I'm a big fan! And I don't care if he's gay or not (sob!)

5 comments:

Simon said...

Wow, I watched Tom's video. He has inspired me......I'm joining right now.

Or not......

Anonymous said...

Julie, there is a pattern here. You may need an intervention, but I'm struggling to come up with an appropriate intervention strategy.

Anonymous said...

Chools,
JT is bi or gay. It's all gossip fodder, I know, but someone I knew's relative was in security at a Boston Hotel and he was walking the halls early one morn and a young-ish handsome guy was leaving JT's room and they kissed and JT was in the hotel's bathrobe. Don't you love this he said/she said stuff. I think his wife thing was a fix-up and they love and respect each other and have a nice family and life goes on. He's not obnoxious like Cruise, so he doesn't bother me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the gossip, h, and for your concern, MrMoss. And nooch, thanks for the term "Theatre majors." Oh, and I'd like to thank the Academy, and my agent. And all the little people.

Anonymous said...

btw, Choolie, I saw that Tom Cruise video of him getting an award from the head of the Scientology cult/church and you know what? He's as bad an actor in real life as he is in the movies! : )
As long as his wife and children love him.....